This one's an absolute favourite when people come over. I dont eat prawns, but love cooking this dish because it ALWAYS fetches me a ton of compliments. Try it!
- 250 gms of medium sized prawns- shelled and de-veined (actually, the bigger, the better :))
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 spoon ginger and garlic paste
- 1 cup of thick coconut milk
- 1/2 spoon chilli powder
- 3 slit green chillies
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- salt to taste
- 1 spoon of lime juice
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp tomato ketchup
- 4 tbsp Ghee (please do not compromise on this one!)
- Garam Masala Powder - (coarsely pounded cinnamon, clove and cardamom ( dalchini, labongo, elaichi)
- Clean the prawns, add the turmeric and lime juice to it, toss it, keep aside for 10 minutes (be sure to drain out all the excess water before adding the juice and turmeric)
- In a pan, pour 2 tbsps ghee, once its heated, add the prawns to it.
- Stir fry the prawns for exactly half a minute. Be careful not to over do/fry it, else it gets rubbery. Just wait till the prawns turn a beautiful pink, and u are on the rt path!
- keep the prawns aside.
- Add the remaining two tbsp of ghee and add the diced onions to it.
- Add the green chillies
- Saute till it turns translucent. Add ginger garlic paste, chilli powder, a pinch of turmeric, salt and saute till the ghee separates
- Add the prawns to the masala in the pan and saute a little bit
- Now add the coconut milk and see the beautiful- orangish pick colour unfold.
- Add sugar and tomato ketchup.
- On medium flame bring it to a boil. Add the garam masala powder.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
This one's a fav of my mil and mum, both. Actually everyone who loves prawns and has dined at my place! Try it and lemme know, ok?
(Made this on Sunday, but forgot to click a picture :(. Will put up one soon.)