Appu’s Two Tier Chicken & Veggie Bake
This one is a classic. I make it very often. Will post a pic when I bake next.
1. Veggies of your choice – chopped Medium size. (I use broccoli, potatoes, sweet corn kernels, a few French beans, carrot , Mushrooms and peas)
2. Minced chicken (Chicken Kheema)
3. Any Pasta sauce (Tomato based)
4. White sauce
5. Herbs (basil, oregano)
6. Butter /olive oil
7. Garlic – 1/2 spoon minced
Method for making white sauce:
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all purpose flour/maida
1-2 cups Milk
Sugar- 2 to three pinches.
Optional: 1/2 cheese cube grated.
1. Melt the butter, add the flour and cook for 2 minutes without browning, stirring continuously.
2. Remove from the heat and add the milk, while mixing it continuously. Mix until smooth. (My mum sometimes uses a hand blender when things go wrong i.e when the sauce becomes too lumpy- try it, if things go wrong for you too :)
3. Return to heat and cook slowly, stirring throughout until the sauce thickens. Add salt, pepper, sugar and grated cheese (optional)
(The best option is to buy ready white sauce mix :) )
Take a small wok and pour some olive oil. Add the chopped onions and sauté for a few minutes. Add a portion of garlic and the minced chicken. Add in the Salt and sauté it till the chicken is almost done. Do not brown it. Let the water that the chicken leaves evaporate. Once the water dries up, pour 4 tbs of pasta sauce cook for 2 minutes. Keep this mixture aside.
In a wok, sauté the veggies in olive oil or butter for a few minutes with garlic and herbs.
If you want to use potatoes then, I suggest you boil them and add to this. Now pour the white sauce into this mixture.
In a baking dish first pour the chicken mixture. Top it with the white sauce and veggie mixture. Grate cheese over it.
Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees for 5 minutes. Now place the dish inside the oven and bake it for about 20 minutes- till the sauce thickens and sets. Do not brown the cheese too much.
Once ready, have it with garlic bread and white wine :).