I thought this was one helluva cool recipe! And exotic too at that - I can almost smell the Koyla (charcoal) flavour!
Sounds like just the recipe I was looking for, for the coming up weekend :). And thank God for foodie friends!
In Deepti’s own words:
- Marinate the chicken with salt, ginger-garlic paste and chilli powder for about 4 hours.
- In a pan heat oil and sauté the chicken for about 2 mins. (you can add slit green chillies if you want to spice it up). Then put in pureed tomatoes (I normally use 6 medium sized for a kg).
- Cover and let it cook on medium heat for around 15mnts. then open and put in coarsely pounded cashew nuts. Around ten of them (roast the cashews on a tava/pan but don't brown them too much and pound).
- Once the oil leaves stir in about 1/2 cup cream gently
- Remove from the fire.
- Just before serving take a small piece of Koyla (charcoal) and heat it over the flame till red hot. Quickly transfer to a bowl and put it into the chicken and pour ghee/clarified butter over it. when it starts to smoke cover the dish for around 5-7 mtns.
Viola your Koyla Chicken is ready!!
Serve with rotis or steamed rice/pulao :).
Can’t wait to make it!! Thanks and a big hug, Dippy.
And if you have great, simply, fun recipes to share do write to me. Will be mroe than obliged to put them up on Slurrrrrrp!
So long then!
(And no, this is not Shahrukh Khan’s favourite dish :D )